All to Jesus I Surrender

To Him who sits on the throne and unto the
Lamb be glory, power and dominion forever.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Book Review

I have been reading a series of books written by a husband-wife team, Bodie and Brock Thoene. The series: "The A.D. Chronicles."

As I began the first book, "First Light", I wasn't looking for much other than a temporary trip into fiction-land and a reprieve from the daily grind. But as I got further into the book, I figured the daily grind could wait! LOL! I couldn't put it down!

The time: approx. 30 AD, the setting: Jerusalem and surrounding cities

The political climate is precarious. The Temple priests are divided over many issues. The local folk are crying out for Messiah to come and defeat the Romans. Danger lurks behind every shadow. Whispers of Herod Antipas' cruelty on the lips of only the bravest who dare say anything against him.

And if that were not enough, now we have a band of people following after One whose teachings are more like riddles. While the band of people grows, so are the questions that come from His inner circle. The rumors around the city have attracted the attention of the sick, the hungry, the helpless...and the ones in power.

I have, as well as many other Christians, have read the gospel accounts of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John many times. I admit, I don't have a great, stretching imagination. So, when I picked up this series, I got a chance to read these gospel accounts with a whole lotta imagination woven into them.

I am very impressed with these books. They make the accounts we read about in the Bible stand out in a way I have never seen before. While I DO NOT hold them to the same esteem I hold the Bible, I do like the way the authors have taken Scripture and researched historic, factual evidences and interwoven them.

While there are true, factual characters, such as Jesus, His disciples, King Herod, and all other historical persons of the gospels in this book, there are also fictional ones as well. I won't give away anything that would compromise the story line in case someone wants to read them. But I will say that these books have caused me to both laugh and cry. And because of them I have fallen in love with Jesus all over again! I highly recommend them and pray that they make you stop and think of Jesus in a way you maybe never have before.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home